Sunday 17 September 2017

Generational Gaps: Their Children And Immigrant Parents

When I was 5 years old, I moved into the United States from India. My parents were older and more set in their ways due to their upbringing that is Indian. On the flip side, teenage years, my childhood, and now years have been a balancing act between my American and Indian identities. This is not to say I do not know who I am, but I have fought with generational gaps. At times, these gaps in thought and actions may lead to heated discussions and misunderstandings.

Generational gaps exist between immigrant parents and their children in many forms. This can be a byproduct of outside forces of assimilation and culture shift on both sides. Parents have been brought up at the motherland and entrenched using their morals and values, while their children have learned the morals and values as well as the ones within their own society. This causes chaos to form as take and kids start to mature in their own identities. The identities of children are shaped more by the balancing of two different cultures though this can be true for many.

More…



source http://www.californiacoastparent.com/generational-gaps-their-children-and-immigrant-parents/

No comments:

Post a Comment